Erin's Blog

Thursday, January 04, 2007






(Second) The Qutb Minar in Delhi. Inspired by the Minaret of Jam in Afghanistan and wishing to surpass it, Qutb-ud-din Aybak, the first Muslim ruler of Delhi, commenced construction of the Qutub Minar in 1193 (not the 16 Century like I said in my email); but could only complete its basement. His successor, Iltutmish, added three more stories and, in 1368, Firuz Shah Tughluq constructed the fifth and the last story.

(Bottom) This is Humayun's Tomb, also in Delhi. It was built by the Mughals, and there is a much better story, but I wasn't listening well enough to retell it. Pretty though!

(Top ) One of the many things at Agra fort. If I remember correctly this was the royal palace-- they actually would have lived here. It was in the center of the fort, and had intricate designs all throughout-- (fourth down) the one picture is a close up of all the marble work. The ENTIRE place is like this.

(Middle) The Taj Mahal-- once you see it you understand why it's one of the seven wonders of the world!! It was built by Shah Jahan, a Mughal emperor, in memory of his favorite wife. The Taj is made out of white marble, but the original plan that Shah Jahan had was to build his wife a white one, him a black one, and connect it with a silver bridge. It is absolutely beautiful... in fact, I decided when I die I want my husband to build me one, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home